The Sonoma County Bicycle Expo is your destination for all things bike! Produced by Sonoma County Bicycle Coalition and presented by Rabobank, this celebration of bicycling returns to Santa Rosa, California on August 19th, 2012 for the third year in a row.
What: Sonoma County Bicycle Expo
Features: Vendors, food, exhibits, bike ride, racing, bike building, raffles, free valet bike parking
When: Sunday, August 19th, 2012, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. (Ride About Town at 8:00 a.m.)
Where: Santa Rosa, California, E Street between D & E, and the parking lot at E and 2nd Street
Info: www.BikeSonoma.org/expo; 707-545-0153; email@example.com; Facebook
Once again, the Sonoma County Bicycle Expo features an array of vendors offering new and used bicycles, parts, gear, clothing, and accessories. Those looking to participate in a great ride this fall might just find what they’re looking for, too.
Speaking of rides, the day begins at 8:00 a.m. with the annual Ride About Town. This free, inclusive, family-friendly ride highlights Santa Rosa trails and roadways. It starts and ends at the Expo site. My Friend Joe and Whole Foods Market will provide complimentary coffee and breakfast treats to those who join the Ride About Town.
Looking for entertainment? The Sonoma County Bicycle Expo is the place for you! The line-up:
- Fun Bike Unicorn Club and Whiskeydrunk Cycles will show off their latest amazing art bikes
- OneLove BMX returns to perform astounding BMX tricks and stunts all day
- Street musicians and performers will share their talents throughout the Expo space
- New Belgium Brewing, the Expo beer sponsor, will host a “chill space” featuring do-it-yourself silk-screening, comfy chairs, and a giant Connect Four game. One lucky person will take home a limited edition New Belgium Brewing cruiser!
And, that’s not all! Custom bike geeks and those with a competitive spirit will marvel at these new features at the Sonoma County Bicycle Expo:
- Velogenesis is an exhibition of Northern California custom bicycle frame builders who will work together to build bikes on-site. Viewers will witness bike building from start to finish (including a bamboo bicycle) and a couple of lucky winners will take home custom bikes (raffle tickets will be for sale at the Annadel Mountain Bike Race on August 18th, and before at the Expo site from 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.). Participating builders are: Bruce Gordon Cycles (Petaluma), Calfee Design (La Selva Beach), Inglis & Retrotec (Napa), Paragon Machine Works (Richmond), Raphael Cycles (San Francisco), Rebolledo Cycles (Glen Ellen), Soulcraft (Petaluma), and Sycip (Santa Rosa).
- Small World Fat Tire by Bike Monkey features racing all day on 2nd Street. Choose your race level. The Expo is the day after Bike Monkey’s Annadel Mountain Bike Race, so fat tires are where it’s at. In the words of Bike Monkey: “as far as racing culture goes here, we’ll be favoring tutus over skinsuits. If your socks have to match your sidewalls, that’s cool, but just expect to catch some heckling for it. Nothing is sacred, which is pretty much the only thing that’s sacred.”
Second annual “free-wheel” event to be held at Una Pizza Napoletana, Sunday August 12th 2012
Una Pizza Napoletana and Soulcraft Bicycles invite you to spend an afternoon with a collection
of passionate craftsmen as they showcase the fruits of their labor in the second annual “A Ruota
Libera” — Italian for “free-wheel” – a celebration of handmade bicycles, handmade Neapolitan
pizza and live music.
The annual event developed by Anthony Mangieri, founder of Una Pizza Napoletana, and Sean
Walling, founder of Soulcraft Bicycles brings together a cross-section of the preeminent names
in the cycling industry with a focus on bicycles, parts and components created in Northern
Anthony Mangieri will be working his pizza oven surrounded by exhibitors, including: Steve
Potts, Bruce Gordon, Soulcraft, Black Mountain, Rock Lobster, Steelman, Hunter, Inglis/
Retrotec, Falconer, Caletti, Frances Cycles, Black Cat, Paul Components, Ahrens, Pass and Stow,
Rebolledo, Blue Collar, and White Industries. Handmade bicycles, parts and components will be
on display around the restaurant for people to enjoy up-close and personally.
The event features an exhibit by photographer Brian Vernor and will be soundtracked by a live
performance from San Francisco native and legendary Bones Brigade skater Tommy Guerrero.
The Reveille Coffee truck will be on the scene to give a little extra boost.
“A Ruota Libera” is sponsored in part by Beer Moretti and Lambrusco Pronto wine.
Doors open at 1pm and the show will close promptly at 7pm.
Admission of $10 includes pizza, music performance and secure bicycle parking
“A Ruota Libera”
August 12, 2012 1pm
Una Pizza Napoletana
210 11th St (at Howard St)
San Francisco, CA
For more information: 415-861-3444